Montana  |  Family Law

Common Law Marriage in Montana

My relationship falls under common law marriage in montana, he refered to me as his wife and I his husband, we both wore rings, though we had agreed to have a formal ceremony next summer. Many people counted us AS married, the only thing we didn't do is file jointly because he didn't work last year.

My question is I need to know the law about common law marriages in Montana that apply to this. We started having small issues that blew up into soap-opera perportions and I think that by presenting us as a marriage that needs work, he'll stop to think instead of trying to freak out and bail suddenly especially if we HAVE to go through a divorce. He has even given me his last name when we have talked. I need help. I don't want to use it if I don't have to, but to quit a relationship that was excellent over misunderstandings because of fear is a little extreme.