Legal Question in Criminal Law in Nevada

Letter to the Judge

I need to write a letter to my boyfriends judge before sentencing. Im pretty much askign her to go easy on him since its his first offense and for drug rehab instead of prison time. can you please give me an idea of what to say or how to state my letter. im not too good at writing letters. Thank you.

Michael Sanft Sanft Law

Re: Letter to the Judge

It is always important to know your audience. Given that I don't know who your judge is, a typical judge is looking for information about your boyfriend's character. You want to introduce another, positive side of him for the judge's consideration. Always be specific. What type of person is he? A caring companion? Back up what you say about him with specific experiences YOU have had with him. Also, anything unusual about him, like his family life, his constant struggle with addictions or a disorder, for instance. Finally, admit that while justice must be satisfied, it need NOT be unnecessarily harsh. That means that you are asking for leniency but not denying his guilt according to what he already admitted. I would include color copies of photographs of him with his family, with you, with his children (if there any) to give the judge a better and more rounded understanding of your boyfriend before sentencing. Good luck.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Nevada