New Jersey  |  Family Law

Engagement Ring

My girlfriend and I broke up over four months ago. She told me she would return my engagement ring, but has since said she will not return the ring, unless I pay for her dress. I lost approxiamtely $5,000 dollars in deposits, so I sure don;t plan on paying for her dress.

I have reviewed prcedence on this issue and it is clear she must return the ring. Unfortuantely I will need to move this into small claims court and have two questions in regards to this:

1. She lives in New Jersey and I in Connecticut. Which state should the case be prosecuted in?

2. She has moved and I do not know where she lives, but I do have her work address. If the case needs to be held in a New Jersey court, how do I knwo which town to file in?

Additionally, if I should require a layers assitance, can you make a recommendation?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.