New Jersey  |  Health Care Law

health insurance copayment collection

saw a chiropractor feb, 1998 eight visits paid twice that month and 50.00 more 8/98 thinking that was it. I never recieve another bill. last week 4 1/2 years later they bill me for 105.00 said they were updateing there system and found i still owed them.my other payments are not showing because they have no record of them. i refuse to pay and cann't find my checks from 1998 they threaten to send me to collections. can they still come after me after all this time. the insurance companys have to be billed within six months-two years.

Answered on: 9/19/02, 7:50 pm by Kevin Begley

Re: health insurance copayment collection

You really need to speak with an atty to divulge ALL the pertainent facts so a proper assessment of your position can be made.

However, based upon thefacts as presented, IF this WAS a covered expense at the time, I'd tell them that because of their being dilitory, you can no longer claim the payment for the treatment, and that they would be estopped from asserting their claim at the time of trial because their claim for payment is too late. I'd also tell them that IF they put this into collections, you will make a claim for defamation of credit, frivilous claim, and for all costs and attorneys fees. SEND THIS TO THEM IN WRITING, return reciept, don't just call!

Good luck to you.

Kevin J. Begley - Attorney at Law 96 Main Street Matawan, NJ 087747