New Jersey  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Neighbors upstairs loud...they insist Iím racist for complaining

Ever since my neighbors moved in 2 months ago they have been extremely loud all hours of the day. We asked them to be quiet a few times which made them want to be louder.

Last night I decided to call the police because they were outside my window screaming and laughing at 1am. When the police arrived, they came to my door and the neighbors started saying I am a racist white girl. They turned everything around on me making a bunch of racist comments towards me being white.

I was not calling the police because they were black, I was calling them because I pay 900 for a one bedroom apartment, I do not think I should be forced to hear their music rattle my windows/doors, to be woken up a few times a night because they want to party everyday.

My question is, what can be done about this. Like I stated the 2 times I complained they came back and called me racist. Is there a way I can break my lease over this? I know my landlord doesnít want to evict them because the neighbors threatened to sue for discrimination.