Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

Neighbors upstairs loud...they insist Iím racist for complaining

Ever since my neighbors moved in 2 months ago they have been extremely loud all hours of the day. We asked them to be quiet a few times which made them want to be louder.

Last night I decided to call the police because they were outside my window screaming and laughing at 1am. When the police arrived, they came to my door and the neighbors started saying I am a racist white girl. They turned everything around on me making a bunch of racist comments towards me being white.

I was not calling the police because they were black, I was calling them because I pay 900 for a one bedroom apartment, I do not think I should be forced to hear their music rattle my windows/doors, to be woken up a few times a night because they want to party everyday.

My question is, what can be done about this. Like I stated the 2 times I complained they came back and called me racist. Is there a way I can break my lease over this? I know my landlord doesnít want to evict them because the neighbors threatened to sue for discrimination.

Robert Davies The Davies Law Firm, P.A.

Re: Neighbors upstairs loud...they insist Iím racist for complaining

Nice, very nice. Your landlord should try to control them, although I have represented landlords and it is NOT easy to do. You could keep calling the police. Your situation is not great. You may want to have a lawyer look at your lease to figure out when you can give notice and leave; I know it is unpleasant and sometimes expensive to move. You may want a lawyer to write nasty letters for you. I think the idiot neighbors will ignore them, but the landlord may not. Can you enlist assistance from other neighbors?

This does not solve your problem. Please contact me if I can assist you.

Bob Davies, Attorney

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms