Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in New Jersey

I am required in my lease to pay the water bill. However there are two units in my building, my apartment and the business downstairs. I called the water company and there is only one meter for the property. What steps do I take to get this corrected? My bill is way too high for two people in a one bedroom apartment.

Matthew Schutz Matthew R. Schutz, Esq.

The first question is what exactly does the lease provide. In your post you say the lease says you pay the water bill. Is that a general statement or the actual lease provision? Is the wording of the clause ambiguous or specific? Once the nature of the obligation is figured out, that sets the negotiation strategy. Some negotiation will be required because as a tenant, you cannot on your have the meter installed

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in New Jersey

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms