Legal Question in Criminal Law in New Mexico

Can someone be charged with a felony selling or giving alcohol to someone that is 18 yrs of age without good evidence if is was written in a statement while this person was under the influence

Asked on 7/27/12, 7:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It is a felony to serve alcohol to a person under the age of 21 years in New Mexico. To prove this crime, it is necessary that the government prove (1) that alcohol was served by the person charged, and (2) that the person to whom it was served was under 21. A statement by someone that the person served is under 21 is not courtroom-quality evidence upon which a conviction could normally be based. A driver's license, birth certificate, or government-issued I.D. is such evidence. Criminal convictions cannot be based upon statements (hearsay), but must be supported by reliable substantive evidence.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/12, 10:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in New Mexico

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now