Legal Question in Native American Law in New Mexico

Hi, I am a Native American of the pueblo tribe. The Pueblo Tribe owns casinos. Can I recieve benefits of the casinos?

Charles Aspinwall Charles S. Aspinwall, J.D., LLC

Pubelo tribe? The term is not used in civil law in NM. The pueblo is named, such as the Isletta Pueblo, and members of a pueblo have all the rights of any other member. Business operations, such as casinos, are governed by the pueblo council, however, not by the individual pueblo members. Normally there is a distribution of tribal entitlements during the calendar year, and to the extent the council has decreed it, a portion of the entitlement each member receives could be a portion of the profits of the casino operation. Individual members may not, however, directly receive payments from the casino just because they are members of the pueblo. Those matters are handled by the pueblo council.

More Native American Law questions and answers in New Mexico