Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in New York

I recently had a default judgement against me in NYC civil court vacated due to the fact I was never served any summons or income execution papers( lawyer sent it to a previous address of mine). I'm being sued by a school I previously attended which claim I owe them money for tutition. The lawyers representing the school told me they sent the summons to a previous address of mine that the school had on file. However, I have mail from the school showing the current address I was at while attending the school. Two questions I want to ask, should I bring this mail to court as proof to show that the lawyers or the school had knowledge that I lived someone else and still sent the summons to an old address and the other question is what are the chances that the judge will throw out the case due to improper procedure of serving a summons.

Asked on 10/30/12, 5:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Guy Lewit Guy Mitchell Lewit, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The court won't care about your new or old address. If you have a defense to the action The court will probably vacate the judgment and allow you to file an answer to the complaint for tuition owed. You should probably settle rather than proceed with the case IF you owe the money.

Read more
Answered on 10/30/12, 6:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now