Legal Question in Family Law in New York

remove out of control teen from home

Ny teen turned 17 in November. he is out of control. His girl friend in pregnant. He wants to move in with her and her fanily in august to be with baby. I HATE her family and they have turned my son against us. I have younger children had his beligerent behavior is hurting the our family. Can I legally remove him from my home? He plans to go anyway but i want him out now. Am I responsible until 18 or 21? Is there a way to remove him being he is disrupting things with younger sibling?

Andrew Nitzberg Andrew Nitzberg & Associates

Re: remove out of control teen from home

It might be best to encourage him to move now. Taking legal action may be destructive in the long-term. The law strikes me as the wrong tool to assist you in this problem.

I think it is clear that suggesting he go now because of the need / benefit to the pregnant girlfriend is in the best interest of your relationship with him for years to come.

A voluntary and friendly separation now can have huge benefits later when he is older, more mature, and more appreciative of you as a mother.

Phroska L. McAlister PHROSKA LEAKE McALISTER

The Court cannot impose obligations upon you for Your son's outside attachments, committments, liasons, or children, without your consent.

However, In NY, child support and the obligation to pay for a "child's" necessities, continues to age 21, unless otherwise terminated, per a Court Order; or "operation of law."

Therefore, if your son could be helped by placement; education, vocational or drug counseling, which he declines to accept, you should attempt to obtain the help YOUR son may need, possibly with Court assistance, before you "throw" him out.

If that is not possible, or is not a viable option, then you may file for, a Court Order of Protection, Restraining Order, or Declaration, to protect your household, young children, resources and peace, from your wayward son and his unwelcome outside attachments and liasons.

Good luck,

If hen file

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in New York