Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

If I (EU citizen) get married with a US citizen in the EU and we live in the EU for 2 years, and then I apply for a green card, will the permanent resident status expire after 2 years?

Asked on 5/04/12, 12:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Once you obtain an LPR (U.S. lawful permanent resident) status, you are required to maintain U.S. residency or risk "abandoning" it. For absences from the U.S. exceeding 1 year (but less than 2 years), you should consider applying for a reentry permit and taking certain other protective measures to preserve U.S. residency. If you plan to live outside the U.S. for 2 years or longer after becoming an LPR, with a few limited exceptions, you will likely lose your LPR status. Consult an immigration attorney to review all available options.

Read more
Answered on 5/08/12, 8:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now