Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

If I (EU citizen) get married with a US citizen in the EU and we live in the EU for 2 years, and then I apply for a green card, will the permanent resident status expire after 2 years?

William Frenkel Frenkel Sukhman LLP

Once you obtain an LPR (U.S. lawful permanent resident) status, you are required to maintain U.S. residency or risk "abandoning" it. For absences from the U.S. exceeding 1 year (but less than 2 years), you should consider applying for a reentry permit and taking certain other protective measures to preserve U.S. residency. If you plan to live outside the U.S. for 2 years or longer after becoming an LPR, with a few limited exceptions, you will likely lose your LPR status. Consult an immigration attorney to review all available options.

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York