Legal Question in Immigration Law in New York

My priority date is May 12, 2008 which will be current next month. My H1B renewal was denied the last time I filed for extension so, I converted to J2 because my wife is doing her residency on a J1 which is subject to two year rule. I was wondering if it was possible to move ahead with my I-485 now that I am on a J2. If I can't what other options are available in my case. I am also currently doing my masters and have about 4 classes left to graduate. Please advice. Thanks.

Asked on 5/13/13, 12:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

First, I have to ask if you have already discussed this with the Attorney who is handling the Labor Certification & I-140 on behalf of the petitioner?

Next, if your PD is current in June, you still have to make sure that the I-140 petitioner is willing to go forward with the case (meaning, the offer of employment is still valid at this time).

I also am curious as to why the H-1B extension was denied, as you are eligible for such if your I-140 has already been approved & your PD is pending.

As far as other options, besides filing for AOS in June or H-1B visa extension/change of employer,there is also the possibility of an F-1 if you plan on getting your PhD.

Keep in mind that if your wife is subject to the 2 yr foreign residency requirement, she'll need a release in order to be able to file for AOS based on your employment based case. Since you are now J-2, that release will probably also be required in order for you to adjust as the principal. I would highly recommend you discuss this with the Attorney who is handling her J-1 visa case &/or your J-2 visa change of status application &/or the Attorney who is handling your LC/I-140.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 12:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now