New York  |  Intellectual Property

Is it legal to own website like www.gfx4you.com or www.heroturko.me... websites that DON'T host/share copyrighted content but only point out where to download illegal content?

Answered on: 10/14/13, 7:21 am by Frank Natoli

To say it is "illegal" is somewhat misleading. While in certain rare cases, criminal charges can be brought for copyright infringement, what you described is likely never going to be criminal. It is, however, an infringement under the concept of secondary liability and you will likely be named in a civil suit along with the other defendants for contributory infringement.

This assumes, of course, that what you are doing actually amounts to infringement, which it sounds like. I think you should consult a lawyer in private before you get involved just so you are aware of any negative consequences that may arise.

If you would like to discuss further over a free phone consult, feel free to contact me anytime that is convenient.

Kind regards,

Frank

www.LanternLegal.com

866-871-8655

frank@lanternlegal.com

DISCLAIMER: this is not intended to be specific legal advice and should not be relied upon as such. No attorney-client relationship is formed on the basis

Natoli-Lapin, LLC 304 Park Avenue South, 11th Floor New York, NY 10010