Legal Question in Personal Injury in New York

personal injury suite

approximately what is the percentage of personal injury lawsuites that are settled out of court? how expensive is it to take a case to trial ?

Marshall Isaacs Marshall R. Isaacs, Attorney At Law

Re: personal injury suite

One recent study I read indicated that 3% of cases go to trial in U.S. District Court in a given year. This number comports with my personal experience in the New York State Courts.

The cost of going to trial varies greatly. Even small personal injury lawsuits can be very expensive to take to trial.

The biggest expenses are experts. An orthopedist or neurologist can charge $5,000.00 or more per day. Engineers, architechts, vocational specialists and other experts also charge based upon their experience and notoriety.

In addition to experts, fees must be paid for serving subpoenas, preparing exhibits, blowing-up photographs, witness fees, etc.

I only advise my clients to proceed to trial as a last resort and only when the parties are so far apart that further negotiation would be unproductive.

Hope this was helpul.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in New York