Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

how much does it cost to add wife to deed of house and what other procedures by law in ny need to be considered

Asked on 9/22/13, 6:27 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

kevin connolly Kevin J. Connolly
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

There is a nominal filing fee to record a new deed. $17.00 + $5.00 per page. Check with your mortgage lender if you have a mortgage (they can't call your mortgage for this but it's still nice to let them know). That's all you need to do. Do a deed from you to you + wife as tenants by the entirety, record the deed and you're done.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/13, 7:07 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In addition, upon the death of one spouse, it would automatically do to the survivor. No need for probate.

Read more
Answered on 9/22/13, 9:09 am
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A new Deed is as Kevin states. This is a simple procedure. You need to decide how the new title will read - tenants in coomon (each owns one-half and can distribute it to whomever they choose when they die), or tenants by the entirety (like joints tenants with right of survivorship, in that the survivor owns all and can give it however they choose when they die. Some thought has to be made as to what to do, particularly if it was your house before you were married.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/14, 11:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now