Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

Hello,

I am 1 of 3 owners of an estate that was left to us in Fall of 2011. I have lived alone in the estate and paid all bills, taxes, maintenance, etc. in that time. I have not done any major updates at the request of the other two owners who pressured me to get out so they could sell (estate owner requested I stay until I was ready to leave). Now the estate is being sold. Can I be reimbursed for 2/3 of the taxes and maintenance I did on the property from the other 2 owners? Or am I legally liable to pay all? There is no written agreement in place - the estate executor insisted I pay all bills, but now that estate is being settled, I would like to know what the legalities are. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.

You have an equitable lien and should file a claim as a creditor of the estate. Good luck.

Arnold Nager Arnold H. Nager, Esquire

You also owe the estate the fair market rental for its' property you inhabited for almost two years

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York