Legal Question in Real Estate Law in New York

Is it possible for my mother to make me half owner of her house with out any money exchanging hands? Basically to put me on the deed making us equal partners?

Asked on 5/06/13, 8:17 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, by adding you to deed.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/13, 9:45 am
Daniel Scott Daniel U. Scott, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, what the prior attorney stated is correct.

Your mother would need to draft a new deed. The new deed would created giving the house back to herself and you in one deed. The new deed where you share half ownership in the house would replace the old deed. Keep in mind that if there is a mortgage that mortgage would still be tied to the house and must still be paid by the person(s) named on the mortgage.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/13, 3:52 pm
Walter LeVine Walter D. LeVine, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In essence, your mother is making you a gift by putting you on the Deed. Aside from a mortgage question, there are nuances that should be covered. As a co-owner you could be held responsible for real estate taxes, homeowners insurance, utilities, etc. You and Mom should have some written agreement regarding the rights and responsibilities of the co-owners, so I suggest you have an attorney assist you in this transaction..

Read more
Answered on 5/07/13, 10:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in New York

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now