Legal Question in Criminal Law in North Carolina

i was charged with assault on a handicapped person the found guilty but appeared that. my new court is in july but just learned my neice passed away in the nursing home. i believe the state is prosecuting me not my niece. now she is dead can they still follow through with new trial. there is no physical or picture evidence what so ever nor did my neice agree to the charged by saying no it didn't happen. but she had huntingtons dx. and her speech was impaired and she never was brought to court only the aid i fired who claims she saw me do this but recorded an audio cd of me swearing at her the aid but still no evidence other than that can they still try me

Asked on 6/19/13, 6:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As I understand your question, you were charged and found guilty of assaulting your niece who is handicapped. You then appealed. Your niece later died and you want to know if the state can still proceed. If that is correct, then the answer is - of course they can still proceed. It appears they have an independent witness who claims they saw you assault your niece. A lot of your question just makes no sense at all, for example: " i believe the state is prosecuting me not my niece" - well, yeah - why would they prosecute the victim? And, "nor did my niece agree to the charged by saying no it didn't happen" - if she agreed with the charge she would have said it did happen. Finally, you state "there is no physical or picture evidence what so ever" yet according to you, the state has a recording of you and an eye witness who was a former aid to your niece. The state has certainly successfully prosecuted people with less evidence than that.

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 12:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now