Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

My daughter is 6 years old and lives with her mother in Vegas. Her mother will not let me see her or communicate with her. I have never seen my daughter because of her. Child support is paid every month, but the court system in N.C. says I have to fly to Vegas to do anything. My question is, Can I sue the mother for negligence by a parent for keeping her away from her father?

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.

No but you can certainly sue for reasonable visitation or perhaps even custody. Because the child resides in Fabulous Las Vegas, you will need to retain an attorney there. Be very careful in your selection of attorney! I lived in Vegas myself for several years, the attorneys there are notorious for gouging out of town clients and the Nevada State Bar will often back them up as long as the attorney followed the minimum ethical requirements. So you will definitely want to shop around and go with a firm that has a solid reputation. Also, make sure you get a written professional services agreement that spells out to your satisfaction exactly what the attorney will do and how much it will cost before you lay out one single penny. You may even want to go so far as to have an attorney here review the agreement first.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina