Legal Question in Family Law in North Carolina

If a step parent is accused by the biological parent of sexually molesting their three year old daughter and the step parent is innocent from all allegations; can the step parent sue the biological parent for slandering their name or false accusations?

Asked on 7/08/13, 9:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you were verbally accused of committing a crime you did not commit and at least one person other than yourself heard it - you may have a civil suit for slander per se. In a slander per se case, damages are presumed so you would not have to prove that you were damaged in anyway just that the person actually made the slanderous statement(s). If the accusations were written it would be libel per se. Truth of the statement is an absolute defense so if you file this suit and the biological parent can prove the statement is true not only will they win the suit but you will be in qute a heap of trouble.

Read more
Answered on 7/08/13, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now