Legal Question in Civil Litigation in North Carolina

I have a roommate who is refusing to pay her half of the electric and Internet bills. We are both on the lease, what are my options? Any way I can file charges and get out of my lease?

Asked on 2/23/14, 10:27 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Kenneth Love Ken Love Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No you cannot. The lease you signed is with the landlord. You can't legally get out of it because of something your roommate is doing unless the lease says so. You need to have a strong talk with your roommate about sharing the expenses and be prepared to separate when the lease expires.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/14, 2:58 pm
John O'Neal O'Neal Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Attorney Love. You and your roommate are both responsible for the lease so you should figure out some way to keep all rent and other obligations current/paid. As to "getting out of your lease" you would need to speak with the landlord/rental agent but the answer will probably be "no". Finally, I don't think you can file any criminal charges against your roommate related to this situation. Unfortunately it is one of the key perils in agreeing to be a joint obligor on a contract or debt. Good luck in resolving this and do be looking to end this business relationship when the lease ends.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/14, 3:56 pm
Amanda Houser The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

What are you going to have her charged with? Being a jerk? If that were a crime, 95% of the population would be in and out of jail. One way to beat a jerk is to be a bigger jerk. If the electric and internet are in your name, if it were me, I'd have them shut off and see how long until she ponys up the dough. Or you could go to the fuse box and selectively turn of electric service to her room and other areas she uses and then put a lock on the fuse box. Be careful that doing so will not violate the terms of your lease. You could also be completely obnoxious and repulsive (again be careful here to do things that are annoying as hell but otherwise legal)and inform her that the jerk behavior will stop when she pays her bills!

Read more
Answered on 2/23/14, 4:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now