Legal Question in Personal Injury in North Carolina

statute of lmitation

I was rear-ended by a large PU truck w/ large trailor almost 3 yrs ago. (my vehicle had almost 6000 in damages)Despite currently having neck pain I recently sent claim letter to his insurance Co. The adjuster contacted me and offered me nearly 3000.00 below what I asked. I countered/he countered again. We are sitting at a 2000 diff. After I spoke w/someone for advice they suggest I dont settle untill I see Dr about neck pain. My question is, will I need to settle by the 3 yr mark Which is in 2 weeks,or is it suffient that I have sent a claim letter to insurance Co.and have began neg. with them? I have gone to Dr and he prescribed pain meds, muscle relaxers and Physical therapy. I do not yet know how much PHYs. therapy I will need. ( apt is in 2 days)

Timothy Burch Burch Law Office

Re: statute of lmitation

You must settle your claim or file a lawsuit within the 3 years in order to preserve your claim. Simply dealing with the adjuster or submitting a claim is not good enough. Once the statute of limitations expires, your claim is forever barred.

George Lennon Lennon, Camak & Bertics, PLLC

Re: statute of lmitation

Talking to the insurance company will not stop the statute of limitations from running. They're treating you like a mushroom - keeping you in the dark and shoveling manure all over you. Call an experienced personal injury lawyer ASAP!

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in North Carolina