North Carolina  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 1/30/13, 7:27 am


I bought a home with my ex about a year ago. We then broke up and I have been trying to either rent or sell the house for 8 months, but he will not cooperate. I have been living in the house but lately he has been showing up in the middle of the night and harassing me. I am moving out and wanted to walk away from the mortgage. I am prepared for the effect this will have on my credit. I live in NC a non-recourse state, so I know that bank cannot seize my assets for the mortgage. But I am wondering what legal rights my ex may have if I walk away since the mortgage is joint.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search