Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Signed contract but would like to no longer move in

I signed an apt contract yesterday. My wife is also listed on the contract and she has not signed it yet.

Do I have any amount of time after signing the contract to no longer accept the apt? Am I obligated to move in there and pay rent for the duration of the contract. I have been told by someone (non legal person) that I have 24 or 48 hours after signing a contract to return there and void the contract. I have paid the refundable and nonrefundable security deposits but no rent yet.

Asked on 1/13/01, 6:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donna Jackson Donna Jackson, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Signed contract but would like to no longer move in


Check with the apartment complex about their policy regarding the non-refundable deposit. Also, even if you don't get that back, they should try to rent it to someone else so that you are not stuck with rent. Section 41 of the NC General Statutes cover Landlord Tenant Law and you should be able to find those on the internet.

Read more
Answered on 1/29/01, 3:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now