North Carolina  |  Real Estate Law

Private Property/Real Property Easement

I inherited a 2.5 acre parcel in NC. It is part of a larger parcel (legally subdivided) which has been in my family for many years. I received a letter from the owners of property behind mine indicating they were trying to sell their lot and an "old" easement, never recorded, needed to be granted by me and another family member who owns the lot next to mine. The sellers are selling to a neighbor who I don't believe is "land locked" if he is buying a neighboring piece of property.

I'm afraid I'm being taken advantage of because I'm an out-of-state owner and cannot easily inspect an easement that I never knew of (and none of my other family members ever knew of it, either).

Am I required to grant a previously unrecorded easement that has been in use for possibly 15+ years (if I can believe the sellers' claim), if the buyer won't be land locked without it?