Legal Question in Real Estate Law in North Carolina

Tenant Responsibilities

I own a single family dwelling which I started renting out in April. My tenants informed me yesterday that they have problems with roaches and want me to call the exterminator. Since I lived in that house for five years and never encountered such a problem, I am assuming that the roach problem was caused by them. I don't think that I am responsible for their cleanliness. I called the housing authority in Charlotte where I was told that it was definately my responsibility to have the house exterminated. When I inquired about the regulation/law that governs this responsiblity, they were unable to provide me with an answer. I am not asking what I should do, but what the law or statutes say I must. I would be grateful if you could advise me of my rights/responsiblities in that matter.

D Patrick Zimmerman Law Offices of D Patrick Zimmerman

Re: Tenant Responsibilities

In Pa. the landlord is not responsible to exterminate a single dwelling. The law is found in your housing ordinances for each town. These are gained from state building and housing codes. Your city or town should have these for a reasonable price. In multible dwelling units extermination is on the landlord, because the landlord controls the whole building, and can get all apartments.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in North Carolina