Ohio  |  Consumer Law

I recently took my vehicle in for a transmission rebuild. I was given an estimate of $1800, and gave them the go ahead. They called me the day after they began repairs and said it wold be anywhere from $3300 to $8600 to complete the job and with no guarantees. We agreed it would not be in our best interest to repair this vehicle. When I called them about the best time to have it towed out of there business, since it is no longer drivable, I was told I have a bill of $790 for labor to tear it apart and tell me it was not repairable and if I want it put back together the bill would continue to go up in price. Is this normal and legal?

Answered on: 7/16/13, 7:53 am by Eric Willison

In Ohio, what you are describing sounds very much like a violation of the consumer sales Practices Act. That Act allows for treble damages and attorneys fees if you prevail in your case. you should speak directly with an attorney who does a lot of consumer sales practices cases about this matter.

Law Office of Eric E. Willison 625 City Park Avenue Columbus, OH 43206