Legal Question in Consumer Law in Ohio

Summary - Copyright Infringement? For learning: Search book legally owned for topic, copy to a document. No one sees Doc.

Is it copyright infringement if for my "private study" I search through books that I own for a specific topic I would like to learn more about and then copy, by typing or "copying and pasting" if I have the Kindle version, sentences I thought were relevant to learn more about this idea. These documents won't be shared with anyone. They are only for my own "private learning." I also legally own all of the books.

Am I violating copyright infringement when I copy the information from my books into Microsoft word documents to learn more about them?

Thank you either way,

From

Anonymous

Eric Willison Law Office of Eric E. Willison

Copyright law allows for "fair use" of copyrighted materials in a way that will not hurt the property rights of the actual copyright owner. If you are simply putting excerpts from copyrighted materials into a study guide for your own purposes rather than for resale then it is unlikely you will be violating copyright law.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Ohio

Consumer Law Legal Forms