Ohio  |  Family Law

Child Custody/Death of Unmarried Mother

RE: Ohio Law My sister died in CA in July. Her 12 yr old son has been living with me since. His father lives in Texas with his wife & family. He pays support, but was never married to my sister. We agree that my nephew will live with me.

I recently moved from CA to OH. I sent forms to the father to have POA given to the grandparent. I need help filing for legal custody.

Does legal custody default to the unmarried father upon the mother's death?

Is there anything other than POA/Grandparent that will allow me to enroll my nephew in Ohio schools & make emergency health decisions temporarily?

Do I need an attn to file for legal custody. I do not believe the father will contest.

It is not an option for my nephew to live with his father or grandparents, however, I am the caregiver of my mother who is living with me. I'm hoping temp POA can be assigned to her so we can enroll my nephew in school ASAP.

Thank you in advance for any advise you can provide.