Legal Question in Employment Law in Ohio

I was transfer to another state for the same company and as soon as I got there was put in another position which I was also told required a lot of overtime without pay. Six months later they laid me off and said they would not fight unemployment but want me to sign a paper stating I wouldn't take action against them. What r my rights??

Vaseem Hadi Rendigs, Fry, Kiely & Dennis LLP

I would not agree to that. Your eligibility for unemployment is determined by whether you were terminated for cause or not. If their position is they have cause, then you have to decide whether you agree with that or are willing to fight it. But, if you're eligible for unemployment, there's no reason to sign away other rights, at least without some sort of monetary consideration. Alot of employers try this and hope you'll blindly sign away rights. I'd have an attorney read the doc and discuss the entire situation before agreeing to anything.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Ohio

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms