Ohio  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I signed a years lease agreement to rent an entire house for $850. per month from a friend (owner) who was moving out of State. Before I moved in the friend (owner) decided not to move and we agreed to live in the house together. My rent was lowered to $800. per month and my friend(owner) would pay all utilities. He said he would write up a new agreement but never did. 4 months later he(owner) rented another room to another person. He lowered my rent to $650 per month. They started smoking marijuna in the house. I gave 2 months notice, paid the 2 months but moved out 10 days later. Also before I moved in I commented on the rugs having stains, the owner said I could use the rug shampoo machine if I wanted to clean them.

I received a letter from his attorney stating he wanted $5,500. for breaking the lease agreement and to clean/replace the rugs. I have 14 day to pay $4,000. or they will take the case to municipal court for the $5,500. plus cost and attorney fees. Am I responsible to pay?