Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Oregon

I had a medical bill go to collections and now that agency is trying to garnish my wages. I work part time and am a full time student and obviously am not in a position to pay this bill while still continuing to pay my bills, eat, etc. I don't know if it matter but the bill was a result of an MRI recommended after an Urgent Care which then led to having back surgery a year later. I just need to know how/if I can avoid having my wages garnished. Where are the ethics in this situation???

Asked on 9/18/13, 8:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Clarke David C. Clarke, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your creditor has a judgment then they can garnish wages and there is not much you can do short of bankruptcy. However, money from student loans cannot be garnished from your bank account because it is exempted by federal law. What you could do is talk to the creditor collection agency about making monthly payment. They may be willing to negotiate something but probably not if they already have a wage garnishment in place. In that case, try talking to them after the 90 term of the current wage garnishment and before they put a new one in place.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Oregon

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now