Pennsylvania  |  Credit and Debt Law

I have defaulted on some student loans and am now being sought out by debt collection agencies (NCO Group and CTi, to be specific). I have not agreed to anything yet with them but am looking to go into a loan rehabilition arrangement. However, with everything I've read on the internet thus far, I am more confused than ever as to what I should/shouldn't say, how to ensure the agencies aren't taking advantage of me, etc.

I have little to no money to spare (or else I would have paid my loans off!) to hire a lawyer but am afraid to do this alone. Can I communicate with the agencies via letter, since I am very nervous on the phone and am scared I might agree to something I shouldn't when I have to answer immediately?

I have seen letter templates affirming a payment arrangement that was determined over the phone, but none where the letter is the initial payment arrangement offer. Would using a letter (in lieu of talking on phone first; I've already talked to them once and would not relish doing so again) to suggest we work out a loan rehab agreement and how much I can pay be okay?

Thanks so much, in advance.