Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

Out of state judgement--Bank Account Levied

I received a judgement over four years ago in Connecticut for a credit card debt. I moved to Pennsylvania one year ago. My bank account was levied one week ago by the judgement creditor. They drained my two checking accounts and my savings. The debt I owe to them is around $2800. I do not believe that the judgement was transferred from Connecticut to Pennsylvania.The letter that the bank sent me advising me of the levy has a court in Connecticut on it. My question is, weren't they supposed to transfer the judgement to Pennsylvania? Also, I did not receive an intent to levy notice. I have not recieved any communication from this debtor in years. My address was forwarded from Connecticut, yet I've received nothing. I do not believe that they made enough of an attempt to notify me, what can I do? Could this be a valid reason for expemption? Do I have to file a motion to vacate in Connecticut? Or contact my Attorney General?

Any advice would be appreciated.

John Gibson John W. Gibson, Esquire

Re: Out of state judgement--Bank Account Levied

The judgment should have been transferred and you should have received notice that the judgment was being transferred. Then a Writ of Execution with a list of exemptions should have been served upon you. You then file your claim for your exemptions with the Sheriff's Office. You might want to consider filing a claim against your bank for releasing the funds without authority.

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms