Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Pennsylvania

Out of state judgement--Bank Account Levied

I received a judgement over four years ago in Connecticut for a credit card debt. I moved to Pennsylvania one year ago. My bank account was levied one week ago by the judgement creditor. They drained my two checking accounts and my savings. The debt I owe to them is around $2800. I do not believe that the judgement was transferred from Connecticut to Pennsylvania.The letter that the bank sent me advising me of the levy has a court in Connecticut on it. My question is, weren't they supposed to transfer the judgement to Pennsylvania? Also, I did not receive an intent to levy notice. I have not recieved any communication from this debtor in years. My address was forwarded from Connecticut, yet I've received nothing. I do not believe that they made enough of an attempt to notify me, what can I do? Could this be a valid reason for expemption? Do I have to file a motion to vacate in Connecticut? Or contact my Attorney General?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Asked on 4/24/09, 10:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Gibson John W. Gibson, Esquire
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Out of state judgement--Bank Account Levied

The judgment should have been transferred and you should have received notice that the judgment was being transferred. Then a Writ of Execution with a list of exemptions should have been served upon you. You then file your claim for your exemptions with the Sheriff's Office. You might want to consider filing a claim against your bank for releasing the funds without authority.

Read more
Answered on 4/27/09, 1:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now