Legal Question in Criminal Law in Pennsylvania

After being arrested for petty theft in P.A. the court told me I could get rid of the crime by going through a diversion program. The judge said if I did the 10 hours of community service the crime goes away like it never happened. I found this information to be false because the arrest still shows up on my record. Is this falsifying information. Do I have a case against the court. Had they not told me this i wouldn't have continued my schooling to become a teacher because i would have known there is no way to get a teaching license with a record.

John Davidson Law Office of John A. Davidson

No they were describing ARD and yes even the arrest records are purged. If they haven't someone other than the judge screwed up.

{John}

Ellis Klein Young, Klein & Associates

It depends on which county this happened in. Most counties do not expunge automatically and you would have to file a motion to expunge to clear your record. Just because the charges are dropped does not meet you have no record.

If you let me know which county this happened in I can better advise you.

Ellis Klein, Esquire

215-639-5267

SAUL SEGAN SAUL H SEGAN ATTY AT LAW

Have a lawyer look at the court record. The charges may have been withdrawn but Expungment is a separate procedure depending on the county. If you had a lawyer that could have been gone over then. It is not too late. Call me at 215-370-2608 to discuss. Good luck b you in your future.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania