Pennsylvania  |  Immigration Law

Marriage to US citizen

I am a Canadian citizen engaged to a US citizen (PA). My question is, do I have to get a fiancee visa in order to cross the border to be married. Or can I simply go down for a visit and marry during this time period. We would like to do everything as legal as possible. But the fiancee visa seems like an uncessary headache. Especially when I know that after I marry, I can just apply for an adjustment of status. I cannot find any clear information on this subject. Is it illegal to enter the US with the intention of marriage without a visa? Its not as if this is a marriage of convenience and it has been planned for awhile.

During my last visit of several months, could I have simply gotten married and waited for the adjustment of status? I wish we had done this when I look at the ridiculous wait times for a fiancee visa. Please any suggestions and advice would be most welcome!

thank you!