Pennsylvania  |  Immigration Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/11/08, 2:24 pm

Marriage to US citizen

I am a Canadian citizen engaged to a US citizen (PA). My question is, do I have to get a fiancee visa in order to cross the border to be married. Or can I simply go down for a visit and marry during this time period. We would like to do everything as legal as possible. But the fiancee visa seems like an uncessary headache. Especially when I know that after I marry, I can just apply for an adjustment of status. I cannot find any clear information on this subject. Is it illegal to enter the US with the intention of marriage without a visa? Its not as if this is a marriage of convenience and it has been planned for awhile.

During my last visit of several months, could I have simply gotten married and waited for the adjustment of status? I wish we had done this when I look at the ridiculous wait times for a fiancee visa. Please any suggestions and advice would be most welcome!

thank you!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search