Pennsylvania  |  Real Estate Law

We just purchased half of a duplex from a Management Company who is currently still renting out the other unit. Our units share a sewage drainage system. The main sewer drain pipe is in the other half of the duplex. Our drain in the basement as been backing up with water frequently, we have had plumbers out to snake the drain twice now, it temporarily helps the problem but after a few weeks we seem to have the same issue. They told us this is because the main problem is probably a blockage on the other unit.

Last night, our neighbors knocked on our door and had said their basement was flooding with actual sewage. They had previously smelled sewage but their landlord told them it was "normal is old houses" Our drain just seems to be backing up with water. They contacted their landlords who said they will send out a plumber to snake. (in my opinion, this issue seems to be a bit larger than what could just be fixed with a snake). What i'm wondering is, whos legal responsibility is it for a shared drain? No one disclosed the fact that we didn't have a completely independent unit when we purchased the home, there was nothing on the sellers disclosure about sewage problems or standing water in the basement, and this certainly isn't a problem that just started occurring the DAY we moved in. I'm at a loss, and would just like to know a bit more about where we stand before I contact the management company that sold us this property.