Legal Question in Social Security Law in Pennsylvania

I have RA, Sjogrens, and lupus, all of which are active. I feel I need to quit my job and apply for disability. I cannot stand up for more than 10 minutes without pain, and I cannot sit very long, either. I walk with a cane. I'm on a lot of medications which make me very tired. I am a single mother with no savings. I did not opt for short or long term disability through my employer because they denied my claim last year when I had emergency surgery due to all of my pre existing conditions. So, where do I start? Do I quit my job, find a lawyer, and apply for diability? What do I do for money for food, rent, utilities, etc in the meantime? Please help.

Terence Sean McGraw Warren & McGraw, LLC

I would strongly recommend that you do not cease work until you have a recommendation form one of your treating physicians to do so. I would also strongly recommend that you talk to a social security disability lawyer. Without knowing your age, education and work history, it is impossible to give you good advice other than that. If you live in SE Pennsylvania, you can expect processing of your initial application to take around 120 days or more. If the initial application is denied, you will then have a 12-14 month wait for a hearing before a judge. There may be a way to obtain other benefits in the interim, but I do not have enough information. Feel free to call me at 610-584-9400.

Domenic Bellisario Law Office of Domenic A. Bellisario

Do not quit without consulting a lawyer as to potential employment discrimination claims, as well as social security disability. Fee free to contact me for a no cost, no obligation telephone consultation. Domenic Bellisario (800) 433-9700.

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Pennsylvania