Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Rhode Island

Administratrix

What papers do I use to file to be named Administratrix to petition the court husband died no will or property just a personal injury law suit

Patricia Joyce Law Office of Patricia M. Joyce

Re: Administratrix

In Rhode Island, the probate process is administered by city or town probate courts. You can call or visit your municipal offices and request the statewide probate form called "Petition for Administration." The form is filed with copies of a notice that must be sent to the decedent's heirs at law and must be accompanied by a filing fee. The city/town will also charge for advertising fees.

A hearing is then held on the petition -- probate courts in smaller towns may only meet once or twice a month. The probate court in larger areas, such as Providence, meet more often.

I hope this information is helpful. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at 401-885-7200.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Rhode Island