Legal Question in Real Estate Law in South Carolina

property law pertaining to easements

A new neighbor cut down all trees,

graded and built up his property

causing himself drainage problems.

We now found out that an easement

exists on our property dealing with

water drainage. The city wants to dig

a 2 to 3 foot ditch across our

landscaped property to allow drainage

of the neighbor's property. This

would cause drainage problems for us

and for the the neighbor behind us.

We need to know our rights as

property owners. Can our property

be damaged in order to drain the

neighbor's self made water issues?

The natural flow of water would be to

place a culvert under the road. The

land naturally flows downward across

the road to a creek. The city does

not want to discuss a culvert going

under the road. What can we do to

protect our front yard from damage?

Asked on 11/06/08, 11:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Johnston Law Offices of Robert J. Johnston
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: property law pertaining to easements

I'm sorry. Although I have certain real estate experience, I do not have any in this particular area and do not wish to "wing it" as you have some serious concerns. Possible another attorney from this site will see your question and give you some guideance. Your best bet would be to call a few attorneys in your area that advertise real estate litigation and can advise you in person or over the phone. Just like doctors, lawyers focus on particular areas and are not always competent in all areas. I wish I could help, but I'm afraid that I simply do not have the experience that your question requires. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/06/08, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in South Carolina

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now