Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Tennessee

If I do research and find out that my great grandmother left her estate to her heirs and no one claimed it, can I go and reclaim the estate if someone else owns it now?

Ryan Nevin Nevin Law Firm

It seems that someone had to have claimed it in order for someone else to be an owner after her death. If no one claimed the property, then it would escheat to the State where the State would be the owner and likely sold it to the current owner or the predecessor of the current owner. Lastly, if it has been more than 20 years of someone living on the property then they would have adversely possessed the property from the rightful owner and now have gained claim to title. We would need more information of what exactly happened to determine whether you could get the property. Please give us a call if you want to discuss this in more depth.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Tennessee