Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Tennessee

My spouse and I are making out seperate will that are identical in content.we are leaving everything to each other and do not want anything going to a "new spouse" in the event one of us dies and the other remarries.We think this will protect the surviving spouse and the adult children of surviving spouse. Also, we do not want our children to have any control over the surviving spouse to force a selling of the home to gain control of the dead parents share(the children's part?) However, if the surviving spouse wishes to sell the home, we do not want any proceeds going to the adult children until both parents are deceased. Is this possible and legal? What is this type will called? Do we need a lawyer? What does a lawyer cost?

Asked on 8/18/09, 11:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tim Ferraris Tim Ferraris, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your will states that your entire estate will pass to your surviving spouse, then the children will not have any control in order to force a sale of the home.

Your plan is both possible and legal. It doesn't have a name, however, it is very basic.

You do not NEED a lawyer to create your will, but I would recommend you hire one. Fees vary greatly.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/09, 3:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Tennessee

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now