Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Texas

My Son in Law (now divorced from my daughter) has allegedly filed for bankruptcy. The divorce decree requires him to make payments on a vehicle (Toyota Sienna) that my daughter is driving. He states that he intends to default on those payments. Is that provision in the divorce decree enforceable in the face of a bankruptcy filing?

Asked on 4/04/13, 12:05 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gary Armstrong Armstrong Kellett Bartholow P.C
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your daughter may have to go back to divorce court to enforce the decree and she may need to talk to a bankruptcy attorney to determine whether this debt is dischargeable or not. There is not enough information in your question to give you a straight up yes or no answer to this question.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 12:18 pm
Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to verify whether he has filed for bankruptcy. If so, your daughter may need to file a proof of claim.

If he is in bankruptcy you will probably need to file a motion to lift the bankruptcy stay to file a motion to enforce. You also need to find out if your daughter is on the loan as well. If she is and he defaults, the creditor will come after her.

Suggest you retain a local attorney with family and bankruptcy law experience.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/13, 3:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now