Legal Question in Family Law in Texas

I am a single mom with one son. The dad and I are not married and he is not on child support. My son is ten months old and has not received any help from his father except for a few baby items. I have him under my insurance and pay for all his expenses. I would like to know what I can do in case I happen to die. I would want him to have my parents as his legal guardians. Since my child and I both live with them. Or does he automatically go to my his father? Is there any legal actions I can take such as a will? Or does the court legally just have the father step in and take over custody?

Mark Dunn Mark D. Dunn

If you die, the child won't go automatically to the father. Paternity hasn't been established.

If the father comes forward and files a paternity action, or if you file one, and the court signs a written order that he IS the father, then he is legally the child's father, and if you die, the child would go to him.

In a will you can designate a guardian for the child in case you die.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Texas