Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Texas

logo

In 1992 I drew a logo for a contest in high school. i did not win the contest but the year after I graduated the logo I drew was used on t shirt. Presently the same logo (mascot) that I drew in 92 is being used as the school districts official mascot and logo. I did not have a copyright. Can anything be done?

Roger Evans Mathis & Donheiser

Re: logo

Perhaps. What was the arrangement when you did the work? I expect you signed over all rights to your design. If you didn't, your failure to challenge this for sixteen years might bar your claim, which is not one for copyright, by the way. A copyright claim is for the particular written expression of something.

Jeffrey Brashear The Brashear Law Firm, PLLC

Re: logo

Based on what you have written, you may have a possible claim for lost revenues earned by your drawing. A lot of your ability to potentially recover will be determinative upon what you signed (if anything) when you did the drawing. Additionally, there might be an issue of you waiting over 16 years to bring forth the allegations. You should seek the assistance of a local law firm to assist you with determining any potential causes of action. If my local law firm can assist you with this legal issue or any other legal matter, please contact my legal assistant Jennifer (jennifer@dmillerlaw.com) to arrange for an initial consultation.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Texas

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms