Legal Question in Employment Law in Texas

Working off the clock/ no pay

I work for a major Telephone Company. I recently contacted the DOL to complaint that we work off the clock and wanted to file a complaint. Every day we are expected to come in at least 20 to 30 min early to log on to computer applications before we are allowed to clock in and start taking customer calls. This has been going on for over 3 years. We are not paid for those 20 or 30 min. When we contacted the DOL they seem to indicate it was okay till we mention that our elected Rep. had directed us to them and wanted to be kept inform. At which time the DOL person very rudely said they would send a complaint form to me. Now am afraid the DOL may turn us in to the company and get us fired. Can they do that?

Roger Evans Mathis & Donheiser

Re: Working off the clock/ no pay

I would not expect the Department of Labor to "turn you in." I am surprised they are not more interested in investigating, as it appears you and your fellow employees have a strong case for overtime pay. You may wish to contact a lawyer to explore your rights and to assist you with your claims.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Texas

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms