Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

If I have a Texas domestic partnership, what do I need to do to ensure my partner can take over ownership of my home without paying large amounts of money?

Asked on 10/17/13, 6:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Keith Engelke Law Office of S. Keith Engelke
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are planning for your death, you will need a will. Items received via a will or any other testamentary transfer are valued by the IRS on date of death of the testator

Read more
Answered on 10/17/13, 6:26 am
Arthur Geffen Arthur H. Geffen, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Mr. Engelke. You should also investigate whether or not a living trust might work for the two of you. Texas is peculiar when it comes to these issues. Find a lawyer who understands the nuances of gift and estate tax between people who cannot be considered spouses under state law.

Read more
Answered on 10/17/13, 8:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88433 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now