Legal Question in Personal Injury in United States

A family friend got into an accident in California while driving a rental car. Her daughters company was paying for the insurance on the rental car from hertz but she was added on as a secondary driver. Hertz never told them that they needed to get insurance for the secondary driver. The accident was her fault now what needs to be done. Hertz is saying she needs to pay to fix the car and also pay to fix the car of the other drivers.

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Undefined property: stdClass::$state_code

Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

Line Number: 47

Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping victims of automobile, motorcycle, pedestrian, slip-and-fall accidents and much more all over California. We can help you recover for your pain and suffering and other losses and expenses. No recovery No fee. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Find Experienced Personal Injury Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.

I am sorry but this is not really a personal injury question- if the friend was at fault then she is a potential defendant and I do not represent defendants. However, as to insurance, as she is apparantly not covered under Hertz, she should notify her personal auto insurance to be sure that they do not have a duty to defend her under that policy.

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

In addition to what Jerome said, EVERY driver has a DUTY to know if they are insured. It is not Hertz's duty, and the daughter has a responsibility to verify coverage before driving. Her personal policy MAY cover her, so she should call them.

Salman Khan International Lawyer

I agree with Glen and Jerome, you need to be vigilant yourself. Its a famous maxim "equity favors the vigilant not the endolent". However you can still send a legal notice to your insurance company claiming the insurance in it to make them pay at least half. But do not go in litigation as your case would be weak.

Vaseem Hadi Rendigs, Fry, Kiely & Dennis LLP

Rental car accidents often times present complicated insurance coverage questions. There's really no way to answer your question without reviewing the policies. You should attempt to submit a claim to every insurance company you believe may be required to provide coverage. Then, let the insurers duke it out.

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Mr. Hadi has given you excellent advice. Mr. Ashman may not know California law, and I know that I do not, so his comment about every driver having a duty to know whether there is insurance may not be correct. Also, again depending on California law, it may very well be that Hertz does have some responsibility to have advised that the secondary driver needed to be separately insured. You should probably contact an attorney licensed in California. ( I am guessing that the vehicle was rented there). If rented elsewhere, it would be a good idea to contact counsel in that state. Good luck.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in United States