Legal Question in Personal Injury in United States

A family friend got into an accident in California while driving a rental car. Her daughters company was paying for the insurance on the rental car from hertz but she was added on as a secondary driver. Hertz never told them that they needed to get insurance for the secondary driver. The accident was her fault now what needs to be done. Hertz is saying she needs to pay to fix the car and also pay to fix the car of the other drivers.

Asked on 8/24/10, 9:53 am

A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Message: Undefined property: stdClass::$state_code

Filename: views/new_publicquestionview.php

Line Number: 48

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

5 Answers from Attorneys

Jerome Gamache Ainsworth Thelin & Raftice, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I am sorry but this is not really a personal injury question- if the friend was at fault then she is a potential defendant and I do not represent defendants. However, as to insurance, as she is apparantly not covered under Hertz, she should notify her personal auto insurance to be sure that they do not have a duty to defend her under that policy.

Read more
8/29/10, 10:01 am
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

In addition to what Jerome said, EVERY driver has a DUTY to know if they are insured. It is not Hertz's duty, and the daughter has a responsibility to verify coverage before driving. Her personal policy MAY cover her, so she should call them.

Read more
8/29/10, 11:19 am
Salman Khan International Lawyer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I agree with Glen and Jerome, you need to be vigilant yourself. Its a famous maxim "equity favors the vigilant not the endolent". However you can still send a legal notice to your insurance company claiming the insurance in it to make them pay at least half. But do not go in litigation as your case would be weak.

Read more
8/29/10, 12:05 pm
Vaseem Hadi Rendigs, Fry, Kiely & Dennis LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Rental car accidents often times present complicated insurance coverage questions. There's really no way to answer your question without reviewing the policies. You should attempt to submit a claim to every insurance company you believe may be required to provide coverage. Then, let the insurers duke it out.

Read more
8/30/10, 5:34 am
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Hadi has given you excellent advice. Mr. Ashman may not know California law, and I know that I do not, so his comment about every driver having a duty to know whether there is insurance may not be correct. Also, again depending on California law, it may very well be that Hertz does have some responsibility to have advised that the secondary driver needed to be separately insured. You should probably contact an attorney licensed in California. ( I am guessing that the vehicle was rented there). If rented elsewhere, it would be a good idea to contact counsel in that state. Good luck.

Read more
9/02/10, 9:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in United States

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now