Utah  |  Family Law

My husband has 2 daughters from his previous marriage. His ex-wife has just remarried and moved an hour away from us. This is the 3rd time she has been married. My step-daughters now have 4 new step-brothers ranging in age from 14 to 6 years old.

My 13 year old step-daughter has expressed a desire to move in with us. Her mother told her she could choose, but to wait until after she had returned from staying with us for 4 weeks in the summer time. After telling her mother she still wanted to come and live with us she was told she was NOT able to choose. My step-daughter now feels betrayed, has lost faith and trust in her mother, and holds a great deal of resentment toward her.

Would a judge consider her feelings at age 13? Or should we wait until she is 14 or older before taking this to court?