Legal Question in Family Law in Utah

My husband has 2 daughters from his previous marriage. His ex-wife has just remarried and moved an hour away from us. This is the 3rd time she has been married. My step-daughters now have 4 new step-brothers ranging in age from 14 to 6 years old.

My 13 year old step-daughter has expressed a desire to move in with us. Her mother told her she could choose, but to wait until after she had returned from staying with us for 4 weeks in the summer time. After telling her mother she still wanted to come and live with us she was told she was NOT able to choose. My step-daughter now feels betrayed, has lost faith and trust in her mother, and holds a great deal of resentment toward her.

Would a judge consider her feelings at age 13? Or should we wait until she is 14 or older before taking this to court?

Cory Wall Cory R. Wall, Attorney at Law, P.C.

Depending on the circumstances, the court can consider the wishes of a child at any age. The law only requires the judge to consider the wishes of a child 16 years of age or older. However, if you have a 13 year old who is adamant about making such a move, i would recommend that you move on it by filing a petition to modify. I offer a free initial consultation in the event you would like to discuss this in further detail. My phone number is (801) 274-3100. Please call to schedule an appointment to come in and meet with me. Thank you, Cory R. Wall

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Utah