Utah  |  Family Law

My sister is Swedish and married to an American, they live in the US and they have a little daughter together. My sister has a permanent green card and is allowed to work and live in the US. Her husband is extremely abusive and has hit her badly several times, the police have been involved and he has been in prison at least 2 times for this. There are several police reports about his behaviour / drugs and alcohol abuse... My sister has tried to get a divorce, but finally ends up going back to him... until the next time he beats her up...

I am afraid that the child protection agency will get involved and take their daughter... is there anything we as her family can do? Could we claim for her protection and be named guardians and get custody, even though we live in another country? What does my sister need to do to be able to take her daughter and leave the US legally? Thank you for any answer as this situation is only getting worse...